“Music is one of the most visible and cherished aspects of life at Christ Church Cathedral. From week to week, music fills this historic and vibrant place with something bigger than everyone – inviting all, for a moment, to leave behind the cares and concerns of daily life and be transported into an atmosphere of great beauty. Music is an offering that serves to glorify God and, by its very nature, draws people into contemplation of God’s grace.” – Shane Parker
- Provide musical accompaniment (on organ or keyboard) for hymns and music during Sunday worship, and prepare a prelude, postlude, and music for Holy Communion.
- Oversee preparation of the choir as musical leaders of worship; select and rehearse a weekly offertory to be sung by the choir.
- Be available for additional (non-Sunday) services during the Christmas and Easter seasons, especially those during Holy Week; and for other special services and occasions, such as the annual visit of a bishop.
- Prepare one major work or concert a year.
- Arrange for supply (replacement) musicians when on vacation or otherwise absent.
- Schedule and oversee instrumentalists and vocalists for the summer months, when the choir is on sabbatical.